Congratulations, Class of 2017! You’ve taken your final exams and walked across the stage…Now what? Taking care of a few things this summer will help smooth the transition to college this fall.
- Enroll in classes. Classes fill up quickly, leaving you with few choices if you wait too long to register.
- Check in with the financial aid office. Follow up to make sure all your paperwork is complete, ask how much and what type of funding you’ll receive, and find out when to expect the funds to arrive.
- Buy textbooks. Check with the college bookstore to find out what books are required for your classes. Once you know what you need, shop around! Compare prices at the campus bookstore, used bookstores, and online retailers like Amazon or Half.com to find the best deal. Keep in mind that if you plan to use financial aid to pay for books, you may be required to purchase from the campus bookstore.
- Keep applying for scholarships. Take a few minutes and apply for two or three scholarships each week. UCanGo2.org and OKcollegestart.org have gathered thousands of scholarships to make the process easier for you.
- Attend orientation and welcome activities. Take advantage of orientation sessions available over the summer and welcome activities the first few weeks of school. You’ll have the chance to meet new people, learn your way around campus, and feel connected to your college.
Now, take a deep breath and enjoy time with your friends and family. Graduating high school is a great accomplishment, so be sure to celebrate while you look forward to your next adventure!