Seniors, you may not want to admit it, but summer break is quickly coming to an end. Now is the perfect time for you to take a break from the heat and get a jump start on your Senior Checklist! Here are a few things you can do now to help the fall semester run smoothly.
- Research college options. Oklahoma has 25 public colleges and universities as well as several independent and proprietary institutions. Take a few minutes to check out your options!
- Prepare for college fairs. This College Fair Worksheet will help narrow down what types of schools you may be interested in attending. You’ll also find a list of questions to ask college representatives. College Fairs typically begin in September. Registration for fall fairs isn’t open yet, but you can create an account on GoToCollegeFairs.com now, allowing you to easily register when the time comes.
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID. The 2018-19 FAFSA will be available on October 1, 2017. You and one of your parents will need an FSA ID to complete the FAFSA online. Be sure to keep track of these usernames and passwords. Creating FSA IDs now will save time this fall when you’re ready to file the FAFSA.
- Gather tax documents. When the FAFSA opens in October, you’ll need several items handy to complete the application. Go ahead and track them down now! Keep them in a folder so you can easily find them this fall. You’ll need 2016 federal tax returns and W2s for both you and your parent(s).
- Think about costs. FAFSA4caster provides an early estimate of what financial aid you may qualify for. Keep in mind this is an estimate and may change when you complete the FAFSA.
- Search for scholarships. It’s never too early (or too late!) to apply for scholarships. Check out the UCanGo2 and OKcollegestart websites to search thousands of scholarships!
Stay cool out there, and enjoy the rest of your summer break!