Financial Aid for Members of the Military

To apply for financial assistance for higher education expenses, all students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. Financial aid is available to qualified applicants based on a variety of criteria, one of which is military service. The federal government and several nonprofit organizations offer money for college to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans, active duty or fallen military. offers helpful information on the types of scholarships and assistance that may be available to you or a service member that you know. Links are provided to help you investigate the resources listed there. Some of the aid provided includes:

  • Veterans Affairs education benefits
  • A grant for children of fallen heroes
  • Federal student loan benefits
  • Scholarships from various organizations:
    • ROTC
    • American Legion
    • AMVETS
    • Paralyzed Veterans of America
    • Veterans of Foreign Wars

A week or more before you begin your FAFSA, be sure to create a new account at You’ll be creating a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) that will be used to access, edit and sign your FAFSA and other important financial aid documents. Once you’ve received confirmation that your information has gone through a matching process with the Social Security Administration, you can submit your FAFSA at

It’s important to gather important documents before starting the 2024-25 FAFSA. Take a look at Items Needed to Complete a FAFSA before you begin.

Visit these sites to learn more: