Now that the 2024-25 FAFSA has been released, it’s time for families to complete the application. And when you begin, we want you to be as prepared as possible.
With that in mind, we suggest gathering up some of your documentation to have on hand when you’re working on the FAFSA. These documents will help speed up the process and make sure you’re filling out the form as accurately as possible. The documents you’ll need are:
- FSA ID, and the FSA ID of anyone contributing information for the FAFSA. We suggest using our FSA ID Worksheet when creating your ID, so you’ll have your FSA ID information readily available whenever you need it.
- Social Security Number. Have a copy of your Social Security card in front of you. You’ll want to make sure you enter your number and your name as accurately as possible, to make sure there are no mistakes on your form.
- Alien Registration Number. If you’re not a citizen, you can use your Alien Registration Number in place of a Social Security Number.
- Parent(s)’ date of birth, current address, Social Security Number and email address.
- 2022 Federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. For the financial portions of the FAFSA, you’ll want to have these financial documents with you.
- Current total of cash, savings, and checking accounts
- Records of investment (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- Net worth of farm(s) or small business(es) (if applicable)
For a handy reference, you can down load our Items Needed to Compete a FAFSA flyer from UCanGo2.org, as well as many other helpful FAFSA related publications.